Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Food Waste


There are some food items that I buy that I consistently end up throwing out. I don't really know why - I don't buy stuff that I don't like, and usually I have something in mind to make with them. But there you have it. The common offenders are mushrooms, celery, scallions, and avocados. The first three I like okay, when they are mixed with other things. But I love, love, love avocados! So I was really annoyed at myself when I had to throw yet another one out yesterday. One I saved and made guacamole on Earth Balanced toast, one of my and my daughter's favorites. Another good way is sliced on toast with Veganaise. Now does anyone have a mushroom favorite?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mushroom quesadillas are good for leftover mushrooms and tortillas. The sandwich looks delicious.

eringee said...

I go through a pound of mushrooms a week! Alas you said you only sort of like them, so here they are with other ingredients to make them yummier: Stuffed mushrooms - so versatile and so yummy. Chop up the stems and then sautee some onions and whatever else (you might want to do something you love with a strong flavor, like a sundried tomato), add the stems and some seasoning (fresh rosemary?) and some breadcrumbs and/or vegan cheese, stuff those babies and bake them at 375 for 20 minutes or so. I also love sauteed onions and mushrooms (and peppers) on any sandwich, especially veg patties of any kind. And they also lend a nice dark color and good flavor to vegetable broth if you make your own. I could obviously go on forever:) And also, love your blog:)

Don't Get Mad, Get Vegan! said...

there is a mushroom fondue on about.com that is sooooooo incredibly yummy. once you make it you'll dip everything else in it. i promise nothing will go bad in your house again. i think i have a link or the recipe on my blog but i'm pretty certain that if you google 'mushroom fondue' you'll find it easily enough!

Bird * said...

that looks DELISH!

Bird * said...

i use mushrooms in just about everything