Tuesday, October 28, 2008

A Shore Dinner

When I was a kid, my mom used to make shrimp bisque and broiled flounder in lots of butter. This was actually a huge treat for us, because we had steak all the time (my folks barbequed every night, even in winter).

Being in Boston last weekend made me yearn for the seafood I no longer eat. The shrimp bisque was a really easy recipe: 1 can tomato soup, 1 can green pea soup, 1 cup cream, 2 cups milk, 1/2 c sherry, and 1 lb. frozen shrimp. The cream and milk subs were obvious and easy (don't you just love that soy cream? So much better than the cow version with its yucky aftertaste (same for the cream cheese).) Canned tomato soup is vegan, even if it does have HFCS. The green pea soup is not - it contains butter. I cooked some spit peas until really soft and pasty, adding onion and garlic powder, and of course, my favorite Old Bay. For the shrimp, I thought broiled tofu would work well, but I wanted to have that as a sub for the flounder. Instead I made up some seitan chunks, boiled in broth with seaweed, then broiled in EB with (what else) Old Bay. Hey, I think I finally found a way I enjoy seitan! The soup was pretty good - I think it was actually the large amount of sherry that I enjoyed so much in the original!




I didn't love the broiled tofu. It wasn't bad, but not great. The texture was too crispy, which normally I prefer, but not in this case. I remember seeing a recipe once for tofu simmered in a rather large amount of butter. The tofu was supposed to absorb and swell up from the butter. Then you were supposed to add fresh parsley. I think I will try that next time - I do love my EB, after all!
Isn't it awesome that we can get fresh sushi at the supermarket?

4 comments:

River (Wing-It Vegan) said...

I love the bright orange color of your soup!! That's awesome that you were able to veganize that dish, that is so super creative!

urban vegan said...

My favorite way to eat tofu is to press all the water out of it, then dry-fry it in a non-stick pan with the tiniest bit of oil.

But then again, I could eat tofu right out of the container.

I love Old Bay seasoning on French Fries.

Susan said...

This soup looks fantastic! I am going to add it to my menu soon.

I like to pan fry tofu with some kind of marinade, maybe a lemon-butter one in this case? Not actual butter, obviously, but some Earth Balance, parsley and lemon juice and zest would add some nice flavor.

Jen said...

hi there!

thanks for visiting my blog. and good for you about making the transition to veganism! my spouse is also a hard core omni, but i've been given the go ahead to raise our kid vegetarian-(i'd prefer vegan, but that was the compromise). meals at our house are interesting as well.