Thursday, October 9, 2008

Mango BBQ Tempeh


I am always searching for ways to make me like tempeh. It is so healthy and protein rich that I feel I really should eat it. I always like the first few bites, but then the rest not so much. I find it needs a really strong marinade or sauce, which basically covers up the taste of the tempeh. The boiling before hand doesn't seem to make a difference to me - it still has that slightly bitter taste! (But oddly, when I have been over-indulging in sweets, I crave tempeh, usually in the form of a chicken-style salad (although I never liked chicken salad!))


This tempeh is from Horizons: New Vegan Cuisine (the second book). (Oh, how I envy Urban Vegan and her proximity to this restaurant.) It is tempeh baked with Mango Barbecue Sauce. First, you boil the tempeh in salted water. Then you marinate and bake it with a spice blend mixed with oil. Then you add the barbecue sauce and bake a bit longer. Tempeh lovers would probably enjoy this a lot. I thought it was good for tempeh, good enough to save the leftovers for a sandwich. The kids gagged it down after threats to their Halloween candy stash!


I did enjoy the mashed potatoes with Krys's Easy Cream Gravy. One of my kids refuses to eat mashed potatoes - did you ever hear of such a thing?

2 comments:

River (Wing-It Vegan) said...

A non mashed-potato-loving kid? Well at least your kid is very unique! :P

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear you liked the cream gravy. As for food refusal, Arthur refuses mac and cheese. How crazy is that? Hope you have a great weekend.

Krys