Friday, October 24, 2008

A Nostalgic Lunch


Once upon a time, we lived in Milwaukee, WS. It was a really fun time in our lives. We made some great friends who happened to live a few doors down from us, and we spent tons of time with them. It is a party town (where else can you walk around with an open beer in the street?), with special festivals all summer. In the winter, we would just walk to the bar when we wanted to go out and there was too much snow to drive (obviously this was before children). We had moved there for my husband's job, and since I couldn't find a job of my own and we basically lived on the campus of UWM, I took classes even though I already had a degree. It was like being 20 all over again.


There was a really great natural foods store called Outpost. They sold a prepared tofu spread that I just loved. I guess it was a local manufacturer because I have never found it since. Once I posted about it on some recipe board, and someone sent back a couple of recipes. One is from Simply Vegan. It sounded like it might be close: tofu, celery, carrot, onion, tahini. I added in tamari and a little Old Bay. Not exact, but it satisfied my craving and was a tasty lunch on rye with some tomatoes and chopped onion.

2 comments:

River (Wing-It Vegan) said...

I love nostalgic foods! Funny how we can have such strong memories about food. Your spread sounds and looks delicious!

vko said...

anything with old bay seasoning sounds good to me! When the weather gets colder I tend to crave nostalgic comfort foods...