Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Eggplant and Apples

Here is a marinated eggplant dish from the book "My Bread." First the eggplant is roasted, then mixed with some simple seasonings, including plenty of olive oil. The surprise was cilantro - according to the author, it is a common Roman seasoning. It was delicious, and my 11 year old could not stop eating it!


Although it's always sad to see the end of summer fruit, the reward is fresh apples. This particular apple is called a Paula Red. They are only available about 3 weeks a year (happily while summer fruit is still available!) I used to drive about an hour to a farm by my old house to get them. Imagine my surprise when I saw them in the local grocery store! They are kind of like MacIntosh - sweet and tart, but with a better texture. In fact, I never liked Macs until I had one straight off the tree last year. It was a totally different experience from a supermarket market Mac! Be sure to try the Paula Red if you are lucky enough to find one.

3 comments:

Vegan In The VI said...

Kudos to your 11-year-old. I am not an eggplant fan.

dreaminitvegan said...

This looks so good! Roasting eggplant is such a great way to get those that don't like it so much to eat it.
The apple looks so good.Growing up my mom used to use Macintosh for her pies or my dad would eat them with cheese.

River said...

Yummy! I just had some eggplant for dinner myself! :)

I am so over summer and so ready for all the warming fall produce!