Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Frozen Tofu


I have never been a fan of frozen tofu. As they say in all the cookbooks, it does indeed turn into a sponge. At least that's what I thought until last night. That spongy texture has always been unappealing to me - it seemed much too airy and hard. But last week, before we went away, I had a package of tofu that I didn't get to eat before the expiration date. I threw it in the freezer, thinking I would make tofuna with it (the only way I have enjoyed frozen tofu in the past). Last night I was in the mood for tofu and spinach curry, so I thawed the tofu in the micro. To my surprise, the tofu was not like a sponge at all, but denser and chewier than unfrozen. And it did soak up the sauce much better than unfrozen, just like those cookbooks have always said! It was just so much better - even better than sauteeing. I will always prepare tofu this way for stews.

So why has frozen tofu been so unappealing? The only thing I can think of is maybe I left it in the freezer too long. Or maybe it was better because I froze it in the package (in the water). I think in think in the past I have taken it out of the original packaging and re-wrapped it without water. Any suggestions?


Easy Tofu Curry


Oil for sauteeing (coconut is great)

1 medium red onion, cut into slivers

1 package tofu, frozen and thawed

1 jar curry simmer sauce (Patak or Trader Joe's - watch out for cream)

1 large tomato, cut in wedges

1 package baby spinach


Sautee onions in oil until lightly browned. Cut tofu into big chunks and add along with curry sauce and tomato. Simmer over low heat, covered, until tomato is cooked. Add spinach and cook until wilted.

No comments: