Monday, August 11, 2008

The Breakfast Queen

In our house, the Carnivore is the king of breakfast. Whenever we have guests, he manages to pull off a multi-course breakfast, serving everything hot and at the same time. This comes from his days as a cook at a kosher restaurant. And he does make the prettiest and best tasting omelettes ever. Of course the breakfasts are not vegan, or even vegetarian, so I thought I'd take a shot at it myself this weekend.

I woke up thinking of the orange scones from VWAV. I had made them once before, and have been craving them ever since. I started out intending to make a half recipe, so I wouldn't be eating most of the dozen by myself. When the dough didn't feel right, I realized that I had not halved the oil along with everything else, so I was forced to make the whole recipe! So sad. I add chocolate chips to make them extra special. Aren't they beautiful?


While I was waiting for them to bake, I started browsing through VWAV and discovered the breakfast chorizo. By now I was starving so I thought I might as well whip up a huge breakfast. I made the chorizo (using tofu instead of TVP) and fried potatoes to go with my scones. I have never had real chorizo to compare to, but this version was yummy in its own right.


Well, although of course no one would eat the tofu but me, everyone enjoyed the scones and potatoes. So now I enjoy the title of Breakfast Queen! (Brought some scones over to my neighbors so I wouldn't eat them all myself.)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! The breakfast you made looks awesome.

Krys

Anonymous said...

I put a dollop of vanilla soy dream on the peach pie. :)

Krys

Sam said...

Yum! I love scones, but I had never eaten them until becoming vegan! I haven't tried orange ones yet, I'll have to add it to my list!