Friday, November 26, 2010

A Good Activity for the Day After Thanksgiving

We had a lovely Thanksgiving - spent with the best of friends. We traveled up to Wisconsin to visit them. They used to be our neighbors when we lived in Milwaukee. Now they have an awesome home in the country on 30 acres. Beautiful scenery. I always feel at peace when I am there. Of course that might be from the many bottles of wine we drink! They are always so kind to fix me separate dishes when we visit. This time it was special mushroom gravy, and dressing made from a bunch of different whole grains. And the best Brussels sprouts I ever had. They had just lime and olive oil and salt and pepper, but so good! Here is the gigantic table for 23.


Today it was super cold in Chicagoland, but thankfully sunny after lots of gray days. We have had a pumpkin on the counter for a while that my daughter got on her Halloween pumpkin farm trip. We decided to make roast pumpkin seeds. My neighbor makes them and they are fabulous. I don't know what she puts in them besides butter. I used Earth Balance, salt, and sugar. They were so good!




What to do with the pumpkin? I have actually never cooked a real pumpkin. I cut it in big chunks, sprayed it with olive oil, and threw it in the oven.  My 6 year old enjoyed it straight with salt.





For me and my oldest daughter I made this curried pumpkin soup from Kim Barnouin's new book, Skinny Bitch: Ultimate Every Day Cookbook.  It has apples and wine, onions, etc. I added some garlic. Very delicious.


 Should I be concerned that I have the same hairstyle as my dogs? Shaggy and messy and in my eyes!



Hope you all had a wonderful Thanksgiving!

3 comments:

Megan said...

Your seeds and soup look yummy! I like to roast my pumpkin seeds with Szechuan chili oil. Hot and addicting!

Vegan In The VI said...

Nice post with lots of pretty pics! Pumpkin three ways -- Seeds, Soup & Roasted.

Tofu Mom (AKA Tofu-n-Sprouts) said...

Thanks for the comment on my blog. Just so you know, the gals over at the "Soundly Vegan" blog are good friends, and they've made me their vegan version of braciole several times. It's a bit of work, but TO DIE FOR!

http://soundlyvegan.com/2010/04/02/a-compassionate-easter-feast/