Tuesday, April 14, 2009

More Tofu!

Are you sick of seeing me blog about tofu? Why, yes, I do occasionally eat other things, but I love my tofu!
I must share this with you. It is Tofu Veracruz from the first Horizons cookbook. Oh, how I long to go to that restaurant! But for now I must make do with the cookbook.

Their method of cooking tofu is to coat it with a spice mix and sear it in a cast iron pan. I have tried spice rubs on tofu before and they didn't work. But somehow this one did, and it was so delicious! You can see its crusty goldenness under the sauce. This is modeled after a fish dish of the same name. The sauce is olives, capers, tomatoes, peppers and garlic. So totally delicious - I think I will go have the leftovers now!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Susan,

this looks really yammy, and easy. I do not have that cookbook but I will try to make it tomorrow from your description of it.

I like the idea of making it in a cast iron pan.
I usually use the cast iron pan just to make pizza; the main reason is that I cook with tomatoes a lot and they do not agree to cast iron well.

I can never have enough tofu; so please keep the tofu recipes coming :)

Best wishes.

Maria

Erin said...

I despise olives, but even so this tofu looks really really good. Love the huge garlic chunks with the greens!