Monday, July 14, 2008

Seafood!

Who says seafood has to be of the animal variety, anyway? I like to add sea veggies to my chickpea salad. They are so full of minerals and good taste. We are fortunate to have a sushi chef in our local grocery store, so avocado rolls are always available. Also, for a quick miso soup, I simmer wakame or kombu in water for 10-15 minutes, add white miso, and garnishes (finely grated carrot, chopped scallions, tiny cubes of soft tofu). My 8 year old loves this, too, and it is perfect for upset tummies.

Speaking of upset tummies, how does a vegan get food poisoning, anyway? This has some really unpleasant symptoms, of which I will spare you the details. Fortunately it was only me and not the kids or hubby that got it. I suspect it was takeout from our new Thai place, as it's the only thing that I alone ate. Sad, because I was so happy to have some good Thai available finally! It sure tasted good - maybe I should give them another chance.
Here is a "seafood" knockoff from the Horizons cookbook - "Atlantic Tofu Gratin." This was delicious and I served it with Root Veggie Mash from the same book. Here they are after roasting (beets, parsnip, sweet potatoes & carrots). And then mashed......also great and so pretty!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Susan

Hi. This looks so yummy. I will have the recipe to you by this weekend. I just got back from the dr and I have a viral infection, so being 6 1/2 months prego, all I can do is rest. Hope you have a lovely week.

Krys
www.twoveganboys.wordpress.com

Anonymous said...

This looks delicious. By the way, will you send me your email address, so I can send you the salad recipe? When I started typing it up, I realized I didn't want to leave it in the comment section. Thanks. Have a terrific day.

Krys
kryskagan@yahoo.com