Monday, July 7, 2008

Comfort Food

When I was little, a cold rainy day meant tomato soup and tuna salad sandwiches (on buttered toast, of course). While tuna is long gone from my diet, the memory of that lovely combo lives on.......

Although that famous can of soup is vegan, it also contains high fructose corn syrup and other nasties I try to avoid. Enter Cream of Tomato & Basil Soup from La Dolce Vegan. I was skeptical that this simple combination of ingredients would taste like soup rather than just like a can of tomatoes, but I was surprised at how good it was.

I really like chickpea sandwich spreads, and the Tuna Free Sandwich Filling from Vegan Planet fit the bill in this case. It has blanched almonds in it, which add a nice touch to the texture. Perfect for a rainy day (even if the cold is generated by an air conditioner)!

3 comments:

trina said...

That look great! I love chickpea salad sandwiches, but I don't think I've tried the Vegan Planet version - going to take a look at that recipe right now. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

The soup looks so tastey. I love tomato soup, especially with grill cheeze sandwiches. Hope you have a terrific day.

Krys
www.twoveganboys.wordpress.com

Sam said...

I was more of a grilled cheese and tomato soup girl. I never liked "salad" sandwiches, although maybe I should give them another shot.