Sunday, June 22, 2008

Strawberry Heaven!








Is there anything better than local strawberries in season? As we all know, commercial strawberries are number 1 on the pesticide list. I really believe I can taste the pesticides on those - the organic ones are so much better. An article in our local paper talked about how the local berries are grown with few chemicals, because their season is so short and they aren't shipped. These beauties were grown a few miles from my house right here in LI suburbia, by a nice old Italian gentleman. And, he gave my daughters these gorgeous hydrangeas.




I have a weakness for old Italian men, seeing as my grandpa was one. I can remember all the veggies he grew in his huge garden in his tiny backyard. Strange, foreign (to me) things that he and my grandma ate, like dandelion greens and some other huge green leaves (collards? - I was so little I can't remember). These were totally unknown to me in my house, where veggies came in little frozen blocks (at least not canned!)




The other photo is Vegan Express's Seitan and Mushrooms in Paprika Cream. This was pretty good for seitan, which somehow always tastes like cardboard to me. I keep trying different recipes, determined to like this high protein source. This one had a nice flavorful sauce. I used Trader Joe's Beefless Stir Fry strips. They had an excellent texture like shredded meat, but not too meatlike. I don't know how this would work in an actual stir fry but it was nice in this dish. I served it over pasta with some sauteed garlic spinach (also from my Italian friend - a huge bunch of nice local spinach for $2!)

No comments: