Thursday, March 1, 2012

Ribollita

We have all been sick lately. It started with my oldest girl, then me and my youngest daughter. I was flat on my back in bed for three days. Then we had house guests for the long weekend, and I guess I over did. My youngest and I both had relapses. 2nd round of antibiotics, more missed school. She is finally getting better. I am recovering more slowly. Moms don't have time to get sick! The best part is seeing her more herself.

Here is a soup I made - the first healthy thing I have eaten in a while (too many margaritas and chips when our friends were here!) I had some stale bread to use up and this is my favorite way.

Ribollita

olive oil (the original recipe called for a half cup!)
1/2 large onion, chopped
4 cloves garlic, chopped
12 baby carrots, quartered (or two large carrots, chopped)
2 celery stalks, chopped
1 15 oz. can fire roasted diced tomatoes
1 15 oz. can navy beans, rinsed and drained
1 large russet potato, cut in small cubes
6 cups water
1 t. dried basil
1/4 t. sage
1/2 t. red pepper flakes
1 bunch kale, chopped
1 1/2 T. Better Than Bouillon No-Beef Broth
6 thick slices stale Italian bread

Saute onions in oil until soft and brown. Add garlic, carrots, and celery and saute few minutes. Add everything else except bread. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover, and simmer 1 1/2 hours. Add bread, smashing with a spoon as it softens. Simmer, covered, another 1/2 hour.

You may need to add some salt, although I added a half teaspoon and it was too salty! You would think the veggies would be overcooked with that long cooking time, but somehow they are not. Really delicious.



3 comments:

Millie said...

it looks great to have on a cold winter day. YUMMY!

blessedmama said...

That soup looks like it hit the spot! Glad you're feeling better.ngedins

myhealthypenguin said...

I like your post.

Food Delivery Services in Redlands

Online Food Delivery in Rancho Cucamonga

Buy Food Online in Rancho Cucamonga